


I knew that I wanted to marry Brett in July 2006 after only 4 months of us dating. When I realized this I flat out told him that I wanted to marry him and when he was ready to ask me! The day finally came...December 8, 2006. We had just returned from a week long trip to Portland, Oregon where Brett was involved in ComTech Jeopardy; a competition between different Comcast divisions around the nation. We had a great time together there. All our expenses were paid for by Comcast, so we ate like kings and slept in a wonderful hotel.
The limo drive home landed us in Auburn at about 12:00 on Friday afternoon. Brett and I were hungry, so he suggested a Thai place near the office and we ate lunch. Afterwards, I was expecting to hang out with him since we had a free day with no work. Brett had other plans. He told me after lunch that he was just going to go home and take a nap because he was really tired and he would call me later. I was fuming mad! I honestly don't remember what I did when I got home, but I do remember that I was NOT happy with him.
Later that night he called and came over to my place. I don't remember what time it was, but it was dark already (it was December, so it got dark early!). We were cuddling on my couch watching TV when he decided that he wanted to go for a walk. I said that I thought a walk would be fine, we would just bundle up. Then he suggested going on the walk down to Dash Point. I thought he was nuts! It was dark and that trail is all in the woods! I love that trail though, so I decided to do it anyway.
We drove to the trailhead (there was a private one in the neighborhood I lived in) and started down to the beach. The only thing I remember about the walk down is that he started talking about rings and what would I want in a wedding ring and stone. I explained to him just what I wanted and started to get excited because this meant the proposal had to happen soon. I remembered that I had told Maris (Brett's best friend's wife) all about the ring I wanted, so I told Brett to talk to her.
When we made it down to the beach, it was really foggy over the water. It was completely deserted because the park was technically closed. Shh, don't tell! It was so beautiful walking along the beach with Brett. At one point, we stopped at a fallen tree that was partly over the water. Brett went down on one knee....and tied his shoe! Then he pulled out a ring box and said, "Juli will you marry me?"
I started squealing like a little girl and kissed him. I told him "Yes, of course I will marry you!"
He tried to put the ring on my finger, but it was a little small. I then realized that he had just made me talk about my ring all the way down and he already had it in his pocket! I was a little miffed, but too happy to stay mad. He then told me that this afternoon he had to go pick up the ring, so that is why he deserted me. I felt much better at this point, I mean, he gave me a gorgeous diamond!
Dave (his best friend) helped him pick it out the Monday before we left for Portland. Brett was thinking of proposing there, but the ring wasn't ready for him to pick up before we left. Apparently, he told everyone on that trip and all his friends what was going to happen and I was the only one who did not know. I still shake my head at this, I can just see him being so excited and telling everyone and being nervous. He has told me several times that he knew he had to propose pretty soon because otherwise I would find out and I wanted desperately to be surprised. He pulled it off very well and he even proposed on the beach which had always been my dream although he had NO idea!
During the return trip on the trail, we called a lot of people that needed to know right away that he had popped the question. It was interesting because we had really spotty cell coverage in the trees, but the message got through. We started to talk about what we wanted for our wedding. I asked Brett when he wanted to get married and he said, "Tomorrow!" Yeah right sweetie!
When we returned to his car, we drove straight to my parent's house so that we could start planning. That was so fun. I can still remember the excitement in my mom's face as we started to talk about my wedding!
My name is Juli and this is my scrapping blog! I have been married for 3 years to my best friend. I am a 6th grade science teacher. I have been scrapping since October of 2008 and enjoying every minute of it!






No comments:
Post a Comment